Descendants of Jesse Croom
Son of Daniel Croom
Jesse CROOM (Daniel of VA) was born
between 1732 and November 1734 in Goochland County, VA, to Daniel Croom and
his second wife, Susannah. From records I have studied, I believe Jesse came
to Johnston County, NC, with his stepfather, Charles HOLMES, between 1738
and 1746. Jesse would have been a young lad. In 1757 Jesse sold his
inherited Virginia property, an indication that his mother most likely had
recently died. Other records reveal that by 1757 Jesse owned property on the
north side of the Neuse River in an area of Johnston Co. that became Wayne
Co. in 1779. His land was contiguous to that of a Charles HOLMES, whom I
believe to have been his stepfather. Jesse and his wife, Mary, raised their
family in an area that is now in the suburbs of present-day Goldsboro, Wayne
County, North Carolina.
|Due to server space limitations, data in my files on many of the
more recent generations of Croom families are not posted on these pages.
Generally, my emphasis has been on families before 1870.
Jesse CROOM married Mary (maiden name possibly
McCLENDON) who died between 7 May 1814, the date of her will, and 20 Feb 1827,
the recorded date of her estate inventory in Wayne County. [Note by JHC: Some
records show this latter date as 1817; however, I believe this should read 1827.
Mary CROOM was listed in the 1820 Wayne County census.]
Though still circumstantial at this point, my study of NC land and deed
records has given me reason to believe that Jesse's wife may have been Mary
McCLENDON, a daughter of Thomas and Mary Bryan McCLENDON. This possible family
connection is under study by myself and a fellow researcher, Richard Booth.
|JESSE CROOM died shortly after Jun 2, 1812 in Wayne
County. He and Mary had the following issue, all born in Wayne Co., NC:
- Elijah CROOM, (Jesse, Daniel of VA) ,
b 1755-1759, d bef 11 May 1803 Washington County, GA; m 4 Aug 1777 Duplin Co., NC,
Catherine "Catey" HERRING, dau of Stephen & Sarah Bright HERRING.
(NOTE: Based on several years of research by this
writer, there is ample extant and circumstantial evidence to conclude that this
ELIJAH CROOM was a son of JESSE CROOM of Wayne County, NC, and a grandson of
DANIEL CROOM of Goochland County, VA. CLICK HERE
AND READ AT THIS WEB SITE EVIDENCE OF THIS FATHER/SON RELATIONSHIP. Also note that after Elijah's death, his family records reflect
the surname as GROOM and in some cases as GROOMS. Issue of Elijah
& Cattie CROOM:
- Wiley CROOM, b c1778 NC (One of 3 white males under 21 listed in April
1786 Duplin Co, NC, Census); listed in 1820 Washington Co, GA census as
Wyllie Groom, age 26-45, married and engaged in agriculture.
Note: the following information on a Wiley Grooms
may or not be the foregoing Wiley Croom/Groom: Wiley GROOMS
listed in 1830 and 1840 census for Thomas Co, GA; The 1850 Thomas Co, GA
census lists a Wiley GROOM, age 72, b NC and a farmer. Reportedly m in Hancock Co, GA, Fnu BROWN, dau of
Moses & Milley BROWN; moved to Thomas Co, GA 1820-1830; living there in
1850; Issue: a
daughter, Rebecca, b 1803.
- Mary CROOM, b 1780 NC, d 1852 Stewart Co., GA; m 1 Dec 1799 Washington
Co., GA, Lewis MILLER, d Stewart Co., GA, age 102. 2 sons & 1 dau.
- Elizabeth "Betsy" CROOM, b 1780-1786 NC, m Jeremiah BENNETT; living in
Washington Co., GA in 1830
- Priscilla CROOM, b 1782 NC, d 4 Jun 1873 Eatonton, Putnam Co., GA; m
- Council CROOM, b abt 1785 NC, d 1856 Coosa Co., AL; m 6 Dec 1812
Putnam Co, GA Elizabeth LOFTON,
b SC. Their issue: 6 daus & 3 sons.
- Zelphia Ann CROOM, b 1786-1788 NC, m Anthony CRUMBLEY; lived in GA.
- Charles GROOM, b abt 1787 NC, d aft 1860 census Jasper Co., MS;
early years in Jones Co, GA, later for 20-some years in Wilcox Co, AL, and
finally in Jasper Co, MS; m
1st abt 1817 Susannah SIMMONS (seeking proof;
conflicting info as to the DOD of Susannah; one source states 1826, another
suggests most all children born to Susannah);
- Elizabeth GROOM, b 1826, d aft 1850, living in Wilcox Co, AL census.
Charles GROOM m 2nd Mary MASH? aft 1826 (seeking proof for
her surname and approximate date of marriage; Charles & Mary Groom sold
Land. Mary Groom gave consent, 2/1/1842 in Wilcox Co. AL, Land Abstracts, Book
G) . Their issue:
- Francis M. GROOM, MD, b 1827, d February 1850 of typhoid. [Note:
Mortality schedule lists "... in Benton County, AL." Benton was
renamed Calhoun in 1858]. According to a
note from Betty Burgess of Fort Worth, Charles Groom was mentioned in an
estate record of Francis M. GROOM. More proof that this Francis was a son
of this Charles is needed.
- Sarah GROOM, b 1829, d aft 1850.
- James Wright GROOM, b 8 Apr 1832, d 7 Jun 1906 Mobile, Wilcox Co,
AL; m Mary E LNU; surviving issue per James' obit:
- Charles F. GROOM
- James GROOM
- Thomas GROOM
Mrs. John T. McAndrew
- Mrs. Peter J. Paul
- Henry GROOM, b 1836, d aft 1850
- Bright Marshall GROOM, b 12 Dec 1790 GA, d 21 Aug 1862 Red River Co.,
TX; m Catherine WINDERS, b 6 Jan 1791 NC, d 18 Nov 1862 Red River Co., TX. [Note:
A Groom Family Bible lists Bright's DOD as 21 Aug 1862, while his cemetery
marker, quite legibly shows it as 5 Aug 1863.] Their
- Nancy N. GROOM, b 29 Sep 1815 Todd Co, KY; d Weakley Co, TN; m Henry W CAPPS
- Susannah GROOM, b 31 Dec 1816 Todd Co, KY, d 20 Jul 1858 Weakley Co,
TN; m G L Washington REDDICK
- Lucy Jane GROOM, b 23 Jul 1818 Todd Co, KY, d 4 Oct 1860 Red River
Co, TX; m James POPE
- Wiley GROOM, b 4 Mar 1820 Todd Co, KY, d 2 May 1842 Weakley Co, TN
- Catherine GROOM, b 10 Mar 1821, d aft 1850 Weakley Co, TN; m Mattias
- Sarah GROOM, b 7 Feb 1823 Todd Co, KY, d 1 Jun 1900 Weakley Co, TN; m
William Brown JOHNSON
- Eveline GROOM, b 6 Jun 1824 Todd Co, KY, d Red River Co, TX; m Samuel
- Mary "Polly" GROOM, b 5 Jan 1826 Todd Co, KY, d Dec 1897 Springfield,
MO; m James David REDDICK
- Martha Artemisia GROOM, b 19 Dec 1827 Weakley Co, TN, d 7 May 1889
Weakley Co, TN; m David C OVERTON
- Right Marshall GROOM, b 30 Apr 1830 Weakley Co, TN, d Little Rock, AR
(CSA, wounds & measles); m 18 Mar 1852 Weakley Co, TN, Eliza Ann RAY
- Harriett GROOM, b 29 May 1832 Weakley Co, TN; d Weakley Co, TN; m
- Polina GROOM, b 15 Jul 1836, Weakley Co, TN, d 20 Jun 1855 Weakley Co,
TN; m George PURDY
- Stephen Herring GROOM, b abt 1792 Washington Co., GA, d 1833 Weakley
Co., TN; m Winifred WINDERS, b 1800 NC. Their issue: 5 sons.
- Elizabeth GROOM, b 1826, d aft 1850, living in Wilcox Co, AL census.
- Zeptha Ann GROOM, b 1800 GA; d 9 Apr 1884 GA; m Anthony CRUMBLEY
- Wright GROOM, b 1802 Washington Co., GA. His brother Charles, while
living in Jones Co, GA in 1818, was appointed guardian of Wright. Possibly
the sixteen-year-old Wright had been living with his mother Caty, who had
remarried, moved to Jones County, GA, and died.
Wright m 1st Melvina
PHELPS and 2nd m 31 Jul 1853 in Montgomery Co, AL, Martha GRISSOM (note:
may have been a widow). Wright &
Martha had the following issue:
- Melvina, b abt 1855
- Wright, b abt 1858
Katherine, b abt 1860
Wright GROOM, Sr, died 1 Apr 1874 in Montgomery.
, b 1755-1760; d abt 1839; m 1790 Temperance (STRINGER: speculative); 3 dau &
4--possibly 5--sons, all born in Wayne Co. NC:
Jesse CROOM (Jesse, Daniel of VA)
, b bef 1757; d 30 May 1826 Washington Co., GA; m Jennett LNU, b 1776 NC, d
17 Aug 1857 Washington Co., GA. (JESSE'S plantation was adjacent to that of
ELIJAH CROOM.) Jesse & Jennett had 7 daus & 4 sons. Click here for
more details on this JESSE CROOM WHO WENT TO GEORGIA.
Charles CROOM, Sr., (Jesse, Daniel of VA)
- Nancy CROOM (Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b abt 1787, d aft 1860 Hardeman Co., TN, m NC Thomas COOR, 2 sons & 4 daus
- Stringer CROOM (Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b 23 Sep 1788, d 28 Aug 1853 Madison Co., TN, m NC Elizabeth VINSON (not yet
proved), b abt 1803 NC, d aft 1860 TN. (JHC Note: Family lore has long
suggested that Stringer married an Elizabeth Vincent or Vinson. My studies
strongly suggest she was Elizabeth VINSON, dau of Thomas VINSON, JR, a close
neighbor of Jesse CROOM, father of Stringer. Major CROOM, a son of Jesse and
an uncle of Stringer CROOM, married Jerusha VINSON, daughter of Benjamin
VINSON, JR., also a nearby neighbor of Jesse CROOM. Ages listed in the 1810
Wayne County census, strongly hint that Thomas VINSON, JR, was a son of
Benjamin. Stringer and Elizabeth CROOM had the following issue,
all born in Wayne County, NC:
- Isaac Newton CROOM, Sr., M.D. (Stringer, Charles,
Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b abt 1828, d 1891 Jackson, TN, m 1st
19 May 1856 Madison Co. Mary F. MAYS, b 14 Jan 1837, d 19 Dec 1859. A son
Rufus, b 19 Aug 1857, d 19 Dec 1859.
Isaac m 2nd Rachel Clementine
CARUTHERS, b 1837 TN, d 1912 Jackson, TN. Their issue:
- Isaac Newton CROOM, Jr. (Isaac, Sr, Stringer,
Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 12 Aug 1867 TN, d 18 Jul 1954
Muskogee, OK; m 1st 27 Dec 1894 Nolensville, TN Jessie Morton SMITH; m 2nd 16 Aug 1925 Bertha SMITH;
issue of Isaac & Jessie CROOM:
- Joseph Newton CROOM (Isaac, Jr, Isaac, Sr, Stringer,
Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 26 Feb 1896, d 17 Apr 1956 Okmulgee, OK; m
Katherine LNU; 1 son, 1 dau;
- Marvin Earl CROOM (Isaac, Jr, Isaac, Sr, Stringer,
Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 7 Oct 1898, d 3 Dec 1967 Phoenix, AZ; m Maud
Campbell LIVINGSTON; their issue:
- Alison Campbell CROOM,
- Janet Erskine CROOM
- Miles Livingston CROOM, b Jan 1927, d 8 Aug 2008 Lexington, NC; m
Eileen BROUSSARD; their issue: 3 sons & 3 daus.
- Carolyn Sevier CROOM
- William Lee CROOM (Isaac, Jr, Isaac, Sr,
Stringer, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 8 Oct 1901, d 14 Oct
1974 Oklahoma City, OK; m Josephine TYLER;
- Lula Irene CROOM (Isaac, Jr, Isaac, Sr, Stringer,
Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 6 Jul 1902; d
- Elmer Clement CROOM (Isaac, Jr, Isaac, Sr, Stringer,
Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 20 Mar 1904 Little Rock, AR; d 28 Jan 1939 Okmulgee,
- Virginia "Annie" CROOM (Isaac, Sr,
Stringer, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 1869 MS, m J. Earl ROBBINS.
- Lulu E. CROOM (Isaac, Sr, Stringer, Charles, Sr.,
Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 1872 TN, d young
- Thomas L. CROOM (Isaac, Sr, Stringer, Charles,
Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA) , b 1875 TN, d 1951 San Bernardino, CA; m Mary
WILLIAMS, b MS; 2 sons & 2 daus
- Richard R. CROOM (Stringer, Charles, Sr., Jesse,
Daniel of VA), b 1827, m 21 Apr 1857 Madison Co. Mary F. MEADOWS
- Charles CROOM (Stringer, Charles, Sr., Jesse,
Daniel of VA), b 7 Aug 1835 Wayne Co., NC, d 19 Mar 1855, bur Croom Cem, Madison Co., TN
- Thomas D. CROOM, M.D. (Stringer, Charles, Sr.,
Jesse, Daniel of VA), b abt 1838 Wayne Co., NC, d aft 1860; m Mary F.
- Jemina CROOM (Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b 1 abt 1790, d Madison Co., TN, m Fnu HOLLOWELL
- Charles CROOM, Jr, (Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b 20 Nov 1791, d 31 Aug 1863 Madison Co., TN; m 25 Jul 1816 NC Sevil Nancy
(Haynes?) HINES. Their issue:
- Clarkey F. CROOM, (Charles, Jr, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b 15 Aug 1817 Wayne Co. NC, d 22 Aug 1900 Bells, TN; m J. C. FORTNER or
- Susanna CROOM, (Charles, Jr, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 28 Aug 1819 Wayne Co., d 7 Jun 1848 TN; m James
ROOKS; their issue, all born in Madison County, TN:
- Mary Ann ROOKS, b 1842
- Margarette T. ROOKS, b 1845; m William M. MEEK
- Susanna ROOKS, b 1846
- Isaac CROOM, Jr, (Charles, Jr, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 20 Mar 1821 Wayne Co., d abt 6 Jul 1889 Madison
Co., TN; m 1st 13 Aug 1840 Madison Co Elizabeth STURDEVANT. Their issue:
- Catherine Cate CROOM, b 1 May 1842, d 28 Aug 1821, m 14 May 1866
Sterling Malachi WATLINGTON
- Susan Croom, b 1843, m in Pinson Thomas M. HAYNES
- Charles Edward CROOM, b 10 Nov 1845, d 28 Dec 1922 Madison Co, bur
Big Springs Methodist Church Cem; m Frances GARDNER; 1 known son, Neal
- Laura J CROOM
- Clarisse "Clarkey" CROOM, b 1847, m Will MATHEWS
- Napoleon Bonaparte CROOM, b 13 Feb 1849, d 9 Feb 1882 Madison Co., m
May 1873 Ella E GARDNER
- Theodosia E "Docia" CROOM, b abt 1855, d in TX; m Dr. S N HOPPER
Isaac CROOM, Jr, (Charles, Jr, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), m 2nd 15 Sep 1856 in Caydo Parish, LA, Anna Marie ROBERTSON.
(Note: Anna's widowed mother married Isaac CROOM, Sr., an uncle of Isaac
CROOM, Jr.) Issue of Isaac, Jr., & Anna Maria, all born in Madison Co, TN:
- Louisiana "Lou" CROOM, b 1859-1860, m 13 Jan 1882 Thomas N JONES
- Major L CROOM, b 1860-1869, m 15 Dec 1887 Mary Jane McWATERS
- Rufus L CROOM, b 1860-1869,
- Thomas J CROOM, b 1860-1869, d aft 1880 (living in Madison Co)
- Albert Sidney CROOM, b 2 Jan 1872, d abt 13 Jul 1954 Lufkin, TX; m 20
Nov 1895 Laura KELLER, d 21 Oct 1899
- Elizabeth "Lizzie", b abt 1873: NOTE: Albert had a 2nd and
3rd marriage in TX; no issue known to this writer.
- William Henry CROOM (Charles, Jr., Charles, Sr.,
Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 11 Oct 1822 Wayne Co., d 28 Feb 1907
Pinson TN; m 1st 24 Aug 1840 Madison Co. TN Caroline CARRINGTON. Their
- James CROOM, b 1842, d 1863 CSA.
- Amanda CROOM, b abt 1844, d 6 Jun 1898; m 18 Dec 1862 Richard Hardin
- John Addison CROOM, b 2 Feb 1846, d 1 Oct 1916 Dardanelle, AR; m 29
Dec 1878 TN Mariah WALTON; 2 daus & 5 sons.
- William H. CROOM, b abt 1849, d bef 1860.
- Moses M. CROOM, b Feb 1850, d 10 May 1884 Dardanelle, AR; m 1st Sue
WHITE; their issue, b Dardanelle, AR:
- William Blumer CROOM, b 17 Apr 1875, d Sep 1953; a son Willis CROOM
b 6 Sep 1907
- Susie CROOM, b 26 Sep 1877; m Sam Harrison PLANT; 3 sons & 6 daus.
Moses M CROOM m 2nd on 12 Nov 1878 Annie WHITE; their issue, b
- Moses M. CROOM, JR, b 21 Aug 1879, d 10 Jan 1933; m India Virginia
GOOCHER; their issue:
- Annie CROOM, b 23 Jun 1903, d 30 Mar 1961.
- John David CROOM, b 20 May 1906
- Emma Lee CROOM, b 7 Dec
- Lillian Irene CROOM, b 11 Mar 1911
- Miller Moore CROOM, SR, b 15 May 1913, d 10 Aug 1994 Russellville, AR; m Virginia
DAME: their issue, a son.
- Andrew Jackson CROOM, b 24 Oct 1915
Moses M. CROOM m 3rd in 1881 Sophia Marinus PAGE. Their issue:
- Gertrude CROOM, b 20 Feb 1883, m 25 May 1906 Drury E TOWELL; 3 daus
- Joseph CROOM, b abt 1852, d TN, 2 sons.
- Emily Jane "Emma" CROOM, b abt 1854, d abt 1943 Ft. Smith, AR; m
John Wesley O'KELLY, DDS, 4 sons & a dau.
William Henry CROOM (Charles, Jr., Charles, Sr.,
Jesse, Daniel of VA) m 2nd 27 Feb 1856 Madison Co., TN Virginia A.
ANDERSON. Their issue, all b Madison Co., TN:
- Andrew Johnson CROOM, b abt 1856, d AR; m 22 Oct 1879 AR Sallie R.
ELMORE, 3 sons & 3 daus.
- William Henry CROOM, III, b abt 1858, d aft 1897; m Lillie P. [LNU],
b 11 Jun 1865, d 19 Aug 1960 Madison Co.; a son, stillborn 12 Sep 1898.
- Walter R. CROOM, b abt 1860,
- Archie Lewis CROOM, b abt 1864 Pinson, Madison Co, TN;, d abt
1932 in Calcasieu, LA; m 1888 MS Ada Matilda BIRMINGHAM; their issue, all b MS:
- Norman Birmingham CROOM, b 28 Jun 1888
- Archie Lewis CROOM, Jr., b 12 Jan 1891
- Monte Cristo CROOM, b 18 Apr 1896
- Margaret "Maggie" CROOM, b abt 1864, m 1889 L. McCOY.
- Mattie J. CROOM, b abt 1866, m May 1888 Harmon H. ARENDALL.
- Major CROOM (Charles, Jr., Charles, Sr.,
Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 19 Mar 1825 Wayne Co., d 16 May 1895 Madison Co., TN; m
Frances Isabelle REEVES; no issue.
- James Conquest CROOM (Charles, Jr., Charles, Sr.,
Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 15 Nov 1826 Madison Co., TN; d ; m 1st abt
1845 Mary E. Hayes; 4 sons & 2 daus; m 2nd aft 1850 Margaret Elya TRIGG.
- John CROOM (Charles, Jr., Charles, Sr.,
Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 18 Jul 1829 Madison Co., d , m 11 Dec 1851 Madison Co.
TN Susan C. PARKER
- Joseph CROOM (Charles, Jr., Charles, Sr.,
Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 16 Mar 1832 Madison Co., d 11 Aug 1881 Chester Co.,
bur Big Springs Meth Cem., Madison Co., m 15 Oct 1850 Medon, TN Julia Ann
Elizabeth STEWART; 2 sons & a dau.
- Mary Ann CROOM(Charles, Jr., Charles, Sr.,
Jesse, Daniel of VA) , b 20 Jan 1835 Madison Co., d 17 Sep 1837 Madison Co.,
- Benjamin CROOM, b 20 Aug 1837 Madison Co., d 7 May 1907, bur Croom Cem,
Madison Co., TN; m 12 Dec 1862 Madison Co. Susan K. DAVIS. Their issue: 6
sons & 3 daus.
- Jesse CROOM (Charles, Jr., Charles, Sr.,
Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 14 Oct 1840 Madison Co., d abt Jan 1927 Clay Co., AR; m
Nannie A. McGILL; 3 sons & 5 daus.
- Sarah Ann? CROOM (Charles, Jr., Charles, Sr.,
Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 1 Jan 1846 Madison Co., d 18 Aug 1846
Isaac CROOM, SR, (Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b 1793, d 1876 Panola County, TX, m 1st 7 Jan 1819 Cumberland Co., NC, Olive
GODWIN (1793-1844) Their issue:
- Harriett CROOM, (Isaac, Sr, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 18 Nov 1820 Green Co., NC; d 5 Mar 1855 Caddo
Parish, LA; m 9 Mar 1841 LA Nathaniel A. COOPER; a dau, Laviey Jane
- Calvin Stewart CROOM, (Isaac, Sr, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 11 Jun 1825 Green Co, NC; d 6 Apr 1896 Mooringsport, Caddo Parish, LA; m 12 Jan 1851
Margaret Elizabeth MOORING (click to
see her Croom ancestry); 3 daus & 5 sons.
- Elvira CROOM, (Isaac, Sr, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), d 1907; m Reddick KELLEY
- Isabella CROOM, (Isaac, Sr, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b 13 Oct 1826 Shelby Co, TN; d 29 Sep 1915 Los Angeles Co, CA; m 26 Aug
1846 Caddo Parish, LA John BLAND.
Isaac CROOM, SR (Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), m 2nd abt 22 Jun 1846 Elzabeth C. ARNOLD, widow of
Thomas ROBERTSON of Putnam Co, GA. Isaac & Elizabeth had the following
Sarah CROOM (Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b 1795, d 19 May 1884 San Jose, CA; m 1st abt 1815 NC: Thomas HOLLOWELL, b
1788, d bef 1822. Their issue: 2 sons & 1 dau. Sarah m 2nd 20 Jul 1822 IN
Willis COOK, b NC. They had 8 children.
Elijah CROOM (Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b 12 Mar 1800, d 27 Dec 1837 Wayne Co., NC; m 30 Nov 1824 Zilpha ELMORE, b
23 Dec 1806, d aft 1860. (Note: After Elijah's death, Zilpha m bet 1838 &
1850 Bryan H. PATE.) Elijah & Zilpha CROOM had the following issue, all
born in Wayne Co., NC: (Note: Year of DOB & DOD for
this family from census data. Specific month and day info from Ancestry.com
public family trees and has not been confirmed by this writer)
- Louisiana CROOM, b 12 Aug 1848 Caddo Parish, d 10 Jul 1911 Caddo
Parish, LA; m 19 Jul 1866 John Henry HARRIS; 5 daus.
Dorcas CROOM (Jesse, Daniel of VA) ,
b 1755-1760; d bef 1812; THIS DAUGHTER SPECULATIVE. POSSIBLY married MOSES
STANLEY (STANLY) who named the following in his 1812 will: William, Sarah,
Jesse, Major & Mary. Note similarities in issue of Jesse and Mary CROOM.
Placed here for STUDY PURPOSES ONLY.
Elizabeth CROOM (Jesse, Daniel of VA)
, b 1755-1780; d aft Jun 1812; m Fnu LANGSTON; 2 dau & 2 sons. One dau,
Susannah, m a TETTERTON per her grandfather's 1812 will.
Mary CROOM (Jesse, Daniel of VA) , b
1755-1780; d aft Feb 1817; m Caleb GRIFFIN
Sarah CROOM (Jesse, Daniel of VA) , b
1755-1780; m Jesse COOR; dau: Mary WHITE
Susan CROOM (Jesse, Daniel of VA), b NC 1755-1780,d aft 7 May 1824; m 1790-1799 a HOWELL. NOTE: Up to
this point the information I show here for Susan, including her marriage to a
HOWELL, is confirmed by the wills of her father and her mother, written
respectively in 1812 and 1824. Strong circumstantial evidence based largely on
my reading of TN census records and my receipt of information from Howell
descendants has convinced me that this Susan Croom very likely married
John H. HOWELL of Wayne County, NC, shortly before 1799. Howell was born in NC
and died in 1845 in Maury County, TN.
- Julia Ann CROOM, (Elijah, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b 24 Sep 1825,
- Temperance CROOM, (Elijah, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 10 Dec 1828, d aft 1850; m 1847 Wayne Co Bright
THOMPSON; a dau Harriet
- Harriett CROOM, (Elijah, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b 14 Aug 1829, d aft 1850; m aft 1850 John H. HOWELL (living w/ mother &
step-father, Bryan H. PATE in 1850)
- John CROOM, (Elijah, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b abt 1831, d aft 1850; living w/ mother &
step-father, Bryan H. PATE in 1850)
- Susan CROOM, (Elijah, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 11 Nov 1832; m in Wayne Co. James DEANS (this union has
not been confirmed) JHC)
- Isaac CROOM, (Elijah, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b abt 1834, d aft 1850 (living w/ mother & step-father,
Bryan H. PATE in 1850)
- Elijah CROOM, (Elijah, Charles, Sr., Jesse, Daniel of VA), b abt 1836, d aft Feb 1865 (living w/ mother & step-father,
Bryan H. PATE in 1850 and near widowed mother in 1860; he enlisted in CSA
in 1861, was wounded and deserted to enemy on 22 Feb 1865 at Bermuda
Hundred, VA where he took Oath of Allegiance).
Several of Susan's siblings, uncles
and cousins migrated to TN in the 1820s and 1830s, as did a number of HOWELL
families. It is not clear to me that Susan lived to make such a journey. Court
records reveal that John HOWELL left Wayne County and settled in Maury County,
TN, as early as 1811. (NOTE: A great-grandson wrote in 1950 that John HOWELL
moved his family to TN as early as 1806.) Among the issue of John HOWELL and
his wife, nee' Susan CROOM, were:
- Major Croom (mistakenly spelled Crumb in some records) HOWELL
(Jesse, Daniel of VA), b 20 Aug
1799 Wayne Co., NC, d 12 May 1888 Giles Co., TN; m 3rd Mary "Polly" E.
FREEMAN, b 24 Mar 1808 NC, d 1868 Giles Co., TN. Major and Mary had the
following issue, all born in TN:
- Jesse HOWELL, b abt 1832
- John H. HOWELL, b abt 1834
- William P. HOWELL, b abt 1836
- Lewis HOWELL, b abt 1839
- Rebecca HOWELL, b abt 1844
- Francis E. HOWELL, b abt 1847
- Jesse C. (Croom?) HOWELL (Jesse, Daniel of VA), b abt 1802 NC, d aft 1880 Maury Co., TN; m 15
Jun 1824 Maury Co., TN, Mourning OLIVER, b abt 1804 KY, d aft 1880 Maury
Co., TN. Jesse and Mourning had the following issue, all born in TN:
- John Oliver HOWELL, b 2 Jul 1825
- William HOWELL, b abt 1827
- Turner HOWELL, b abt 1831
- Ephraim HOWELL, b abt 1833
- Elizabeth HOWELL, b abt 1837
- Henderson HOWELL, b abt 1840
- Mary HOWELL, b abt 1844 (twins?)
- Jesse C. HOWELL, Jr., b 11 Oct 1844 (twins? 1850 census lists age as
- Nancy HOWELL, b abt 1849
- Susannah HOWELL (Jesse, Daniel of VA) , b 1811-1813 NC, m 5 Apr 1827 Maury Co., TN,
Jonathon THOMASON. Their issue, b in Maury Co, TN:
- Clarissa Ann THOMASON, b 1833, m Major HOWELL, s/o Daniel C. HOWELL
NOTE: Confirmation needed that this Susannah indeed
was a daughter of John H. HOWELL (jhc)
- Daniel C. (Croom?) HOWELL (Jesse, Daniel of VA), b abt 1812 NC, d 19 Apr 1861 Maury Co., TN; m
13 May 1832 Maury Co., TN, Harriet Frances THOMAS. Their issue, b Maury Co.,
- Major HOWELL, b 1835, m Clarissa Ann THOMASON (confirmation needed that
they were 1st cousins)
CAUTION! INASMUCH AS THE GIVEN NAMES OF MAJOR,
JESSE AND DANIEL APPEAR IN BOTH CROOM AND HOWELL FAMILIES BEFORE 1800 IN WAYNE
COUNTY, WE SHOULD NOT RUSH TO JUDGMENT THAT THE APPEARANCE OF SUCH GIVEN NAMES
AMONG THE HOWELL FAMILIES IN TN STEM SOLELY FROM THE FAMILY OF SUSAN CROOM.
THE STRONGEST EVIDENCE OF SUCH A POSSIBILITY RELATES TO THE MIDDLE INITIAL
"C", REPORTED BY SEVERAL DESCENDANTS AS REPRESENTING THE NAME "CRUMB",
A NAME THAT THIS WRITER BELIEVES MISTAKENLY REFERS TO "CROOM". I
WELCOME MORE PROOF THAT THE HOWELL WHO MARRIED SUSAN CROOM OF WAYNE COUNTY,
NC, WAS JOHN H. HOWELL.
Zilpha CROOM (Jesse, Daniel of VA) ,
b 1755-1780; m 1st abt 1794 John GREEN, b 20 Mar 1769 Wayne Co., d 4 Mar 1803
Wayne Co. He was son of Col. Joseph GREEN and his wife, Sarah WHITFIELD.
Zilpha & John GREEN had the following issue, all born in Johnston Co., NC:
- Nancy Croom GREEN, b 1795-1803
- Sarah "Sallie" Croom GREEN, b abt 1795; m 30 Oct 1813 Johnston Co., NC,
Jones DAVIS. A son, John D. DAVIS.
- Mary "Polly" Croom GREEN, b 20 Feb 1800, d 24 Feb 1880 Johnston Co, NC,
m 4 Dec 1817 Johnston Co, John G. GULLEY. They had 4 daus & 10 sons, all b
Johnston Co., NC.
Zilpha CROOM m 2nd abt 1809 Powell DAVIS, b
abt 1780 Johnston Co., NC, d 1817. A dau: Elizabeth Mariah.
Daniel CROOM (Jesse, Daniel of VA) ,
b 1771-1774; d abt 1806; m Fnu HOOKER (Circumstantial. Based on my reading of
information garnered by Elma Croom HOOKER, a descendant of Daniel's son
William Hooker, and my own research, I believe that Daniel married a daughter
of Samuel C. HOOKER of Greene Co., NC. Samuel's involvement with the orphans
of Daniel plus other circumstantial evidence make a strong argument that one
of his daughters married Daniel CROOM. Daniel and his wife had the following
- Joshua CROOM (Daniel, Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b abt 1797 Wayne Co., NC, possibly d aft 1832 in Madison Co., TN; m Sylvia CROOM, his 1st cousin and dau of Major (son of Jesse)
CROOM, Sr., and his wife, Jerusha VINSON. Issue of Joshua and Sylvia CROOM:
- John CROOM, b abt 1820 Wayne Co., NC, d aft 1850 (living in Madison
Co. in 1850); m Narcissa DOWNING. 2 dau & 1 son.
- Sarah (Jane?) CROOM, b 1824 Wayne Co., NC; m 9 Dec 1841 Madison Co.,
TN Samuel M. BOBBIT. Samuel listed in 1860 AR census.
- Susan J (I?) CROOM, b 1827 Madison Co., TN; d (living in Madison
Co.,TN in 1850); m 10 Jan 1843 Madison Co., Major LANGSTON; 2 daus.
- Cullen CROOM, b abt 1831 Madison Co., TN; d (living in Madison Co.,TN
in June 1842)
Note: Madison Co., TN Court Minutes reveal that the three children of
Joshua and Sylvia CROOM were declared orphans in the 1830s. While I have the
citations, I do not have the date. In 1850, Sylvia is living with her dau
Sarah and family.
- Elizabeth "Betsy" or "Sally" CROOM (Daniel, Jesse,
Daniel of VA), b 1799 Wayne Co., NC; d aft 1815
- William Hooker CROOM (Daniel, Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b abt 1801 Wayne Co., NC; d aft 1845 Madison Co., TN (not confirmed); m abt
1827 Madison Co., Nancy NEEDHAM, b abt 1805 Maury Co., TN (not confirmed), d
12 May 1878 Fannin Co., TX. Their issue:
- Lewis CROOM, b 1828 Madison Co., m 1850 Fannin Co., TX Jose LNU. A
son, L. CROOM
- Martha Jane, b 1830 Madison Co., d aft 1880 Phoenix, AZ; m 12 Nov 1854
Bonham, TX John W. SMITH
- Richard CROOM, b 1832 Madison Co., d aft 1850, possibly in Shasta Co.,
- Susan Ann CROOM, b 1834 Madison Co., d 1860 Grayson Co., TX; m 14 Sep
1858 Fannin Co., TX James F. HICKS
- Jesse Asbury CROOM, b 25 Dec 1835 Madison Co., TN, 18 Feb 1900 Vance,
Edwards Co., TX; m 10 Sep 1868 Fannin Co. Dicie Jane McCARVER. Their
- Martha Ann CROOM, b 26 Jun 1869 Fannin Co., TX, d 17 Nov 1895
Hackberry, Fannin Co., TX; m 25 Jan 1886 Edwards Co., TX Lee HEXT
- Alexander Lewis CROOM, b 27 Dec 1872 TX; d 15 Nov 1878 Brown Co., TX
- David Rector CROOM, b 13 Feb 1875 Hood Co., TX; d 7 Feb 1940, bur.
Lordsburg, Hidalgo Co., NM; m 2 Jul 1902 Rock Springs, TX, Nancy HICKS
- Mary Ellen CROOM, b 7 Oct 1876 Brown Co., TX, d 15 Oct 1961
Lordsburg, NM; m 4 Feb 1893 Kimble Co., TX George W. NOLING
- Jessie Alice CROOM, b 23 Feb 1878 Williamson Co., TX; d 1 Apr 1927
San Antonio, TX
- Robert Edward CROOM, b 10 Mar 1881 Llano Co., TX, d 15 Feb 1933
Grant Co., NM; m 12 Feb 1905 Edwards Co., NM, Callie Emeline ELMS,
sister of Eula Melvina; their
- Elma Jessie CROOM, b 26 Nov 1905, d 10 Jul 2003, Sweet Gum, ID; m
1924 Frank James HOOKER, d abt 1967
- Helen Altha CROOM, b 1925, NM
- Violet Ethain CROOM, b 30 Nov 1882, d 4 Jan 1905
- Lela Dawn CROOM, b 2 Dec 1884 Edwards Co., TX; d ?, m 14 Jan 1906
Edwards Co., TX Daniel Robert McFADIN
- Eva Della CROOM, b 26 Apr 1886 Edwards Co., TX, d 22 Dec 1969
Carlsbad, NM; m 8 Sep 1912 Edwards Co., Edward Newson MERRITT
- Kittie Bell CROOM, b 15 Jan 1889 Edwards Co., TX, d 30 May 1927 San
Antonio, TX; m 30 May 1909 Mack ELMS
- Virgil Jesse CROOM, b 16 Feb 1891 Edwards Co., TX, d 17 Apr 1958 San
Bernadino Co., CA; m 14 Jan 1914 Medina Co., TX, Eula Melvina ELMS, b 28
Mar 1898, Leaky, Edwards Co, TX, d ?. Their issue: 5 sons & 4 daus
- John Wesley CROOM, b 25 Sep 1837 Madison Co., TN; d 14 May 1921,
Gordon, Palo Pinta, TX; m 4 Mar 1882 Strawn, Palo Pinto Co., TX Ida Mae
BELL. Their issue: 3 sons & 1 dau.
Major CROOM (Jesse, Daniel of VA) , b
18 Nov 1776; d 1812-1817 Wayne Co., NC; m Jerusha VINSON, d/o Benjamin VINSON;
their issue, all born Wayne Co., NC:
- Isaac CROOM (Major, Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b abt 1794, d 1852-1860 Haywood Co, TN; m Mary LNU, b abt 1812 NC. JHC Note:
Solid proof that Isaac was s/o Major not yet found; however, circumstantial
evidence strongly supports that relationship. Both Isaac and Alexander, a
presumed younger brother, left NC after 1830 and were living near each other
in 1840 in Haywood County, TN. Issue of Isaac & Mary CROOM:
- J. Thomas CROOM, b abt 1830 NC, d aft 1860 (living in Haywood Co.,
TN); m 15 Oct 1859 TN Emma E. AVERY.
- George CROOM, b abt 1833 TN, d aft 1860 (living in Haywood Co., TN); m
24 Jan 1867 Madison Co, TN Mariah MOORE.
- Easter CROOM, b 1835 TN.
- Mary E. CROOM, b 1836 TN.
- John Wilson CROOM, b abt 1838 TN.
- Lucy CROOM, b 1842 TN.
- Nancy CROOM, b 1845 TN; m 25 Jan 1866 Haywood Co., J. P. EPPS.
- Frances CROOM, b abt 1846 TN, m 28 Jan 1868 Haywood Co, S. L. PAINE.
- Hetta CROOM, b abt 1848 TN.
- Sarah R. CROOM, b abt 1853 TN.
- Mary "Polly" CROOM (Major, Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b abt 1800; m Dick JOHNSON
- Sylvia CROOM (Major, Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b abt 1802, d aft 1850 TN; m Joshua CROOM, son of Daniel & grandson of
- Benajah CROOM (Major, Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b 26 Dec 1805, d 1871 Lawrence Co., AR; m 25 Nov 1824 NC Mary "Polly"
DANIEL. In a brief written family history, a grandson, A. S. Croom, stated:
"Benajah Croom left NC (Wayne Co.) in 1826 and settled near Jackson, TN in
1827, having spent a year at an intervening point." Like many eastern NC
families migrating at that time to TN and GA, the Benajah CROOM family very
likely lived for a while in the Piedmont area of NC. This area was at the
crossroads of the Great Philadelphia Wagon Trail, the path many families
from the North followed to NC, SC, GA and TN. It seems probable that a son
was born to Benajah and his wife while making the trip and before they left
NC. At their new home near Jackson, Madison Co., TN, ten or eleven
additional children were born. Benajah moved his family to Arkansas in 1849
where he rented land for a year. Benajah was listed in the 1850 Fulton Co.,
AR census, after which he returned to TN. By 1854, Benajah had returned to
AR, this time living in Lawrence Co., AR. Two years later he moved the
family to Greene Co., MO, for a year before returning to Lawrence Co., AR.
He would make one final trek to Illinois in 1863 where he farmed on rented
land for 3 years before once again returning to Lawrence Co., AR. Perhaps,
he was the original "Arkansas Traveler." Benajah and Mary Daniel CROOM had
the following issue:
- Nancy CROOM, b 23 Nov 1825 Wayne Co., NC, d aft 1889 AR; m Ephraim
SHARP. She was his 4th wife. (Note: Ephraim's dau Eliza by his 2nd wife
married Nancy's younger brother, Dr. Millard Fillmore CROOM. (Note: There
were two men named Ephraim SHARP living in Lawrence Co., AR. One was born
in 1815 in OH and was living in AR as early as 1840. He married Nancy
CROOM. Another man named Ephraim SHARP was born in 1833 in Decatur Co.,
IN, and came to Lawrence Co., AR in 1855. This Ephraim moved to Fulton
Co., AR in 1867).
- Major CROOM, b 17 Jan 1827 NC; d CSA 1861
- Harriet CROOM, b 24 Dec 1828 Jackson, TN; d 1865 IL ; m George CROOM,
b abt 1834 TN, son of ?; a dau & a son.
- Mary CROOM, b 10 Mar 1830 near Jackson, TN; m Fnu SMALL
- Susannah CROOM, b 14 Feb 1831 near Jackson, TN; d bef 1889 AR; m Jesse
- Elizabeth CROOM, b 18 Apr 1833 near Jackson, TN; d aft 1889 AR.
- Sylvia CROOM, b 14 Feb 1835 near Jackson, TN
- Francis M. CROOM, b 3 Feb 1837 near Jackson, TN; d 1856
- Jesse CROOM, b 17 Jan 1839 near Jackson, TN; d aft 1889 AR; m Fnu Lnu;
a dau, Anna
- Wiley CROOM, b 6 Nov 1840 near Jackson, TN; d 1910 Oxford, AR; m 18
Mar 1866 Sarah Jane PEARSON; their issue:
- Mary M. CROOM, b 28 Jan 1867; d 1955; m James L. SMITH, Dr; 3 sons &
- David F. CROOM, b 20 Jan 1869 Oxford AR; d 1895; m Minnie THOMPSON;
a son & 2 daus.
- Hiram Fillmore CROOM, b 10 Jan 1871; d 1939; m Nell BILLINGSLEY; 2
sons 2 daus.
- Ida J. CROOM, b 22 Feb 1873 Caddo GAP, AR; d 1959 Oxford AR; m Abert
"Al" Henry CALDWELL; 5 daus & 2 sons.
- Ben CROOM, b 25 Jun 1875 Oxford AR; d 1946; m Attie RODMAN; 2 sons &
- Susan E. CROOM, b 3 Oct 1877 Oxford AR; m John THOMPSON; 2 daus & a
- Anna CROOM, b 3 Aug 1880 Oxford AR; m John M. DAVIS; 2 sons.
- Thomas Wiley CROOM, b 17 Jun 1884 Oxford AR; m Georgia JETT; 2 daus
& a son.
- Grover CROOM, DDS, b 3 Jul 1887 Oxford AR; living in Little Rock in
- Adlai S. CROOM, b 20 Feb 1892 Oxford AR; d Feb 1985 Searcy, AR; m 28
Jun 1922 Margaret Price HARRIS; 2 sons & a dau.
- Drucilla CROOM, b 12 Oct 1842 near Jackson, TN; d aft 1889 AR; m
- Hiram CROOM, M.D., b 4 Apr 1844 near Jackson, TN; d 20 Jan 1920
Lawrence Co, AR; m 21 Oct
1866 Mary Ann MILLIGAN; their issue, b Lawrence Co., AR:
- Jesse Abner "Abb" CROOM, b 27 Oct 1873, d 1935 Crittenton Co, AR; a
son, Hiram CROOM, b 12 Mar 1914, d 13 Jun 1975
- Juna CROOM,
- Mariah CROOM, b 21 Dec 1846 near Jackson, TN; d aft 1889 AR; m Whit B.
- Millard Filmore CROOM, M.D., b 12 Sep 1853 AR, d 1882 AR; m Eliza E.
SHARP, b 30 Aug 1856, d 1882 AR. She was a dau of Ephraim SHARP and his
second wife. Dr. Croom and his wife both died at a relatively young age of
smallpox. Reportedly, several of their children succumbed to the disease
as well. Two children survived and were raised by relatives. They were:
- Dora E. CROOM, b 11 Aug 1874 AR. Dora was raised by her maternal
grandfather, Ephraim SHARP. She later married R. L. SPRADLIN and they
had 5 sons & 5 daus.
- Julius E. CROOM, b 18 Nov 1879 AR. Julius was raised by Jesse CROOM,
his uncle and son of Benajah. Julius m Lillie M. CANTRELL and they had a
son & a dau.
- Melissa CROOM, b 30 Mar 1855 Lawrence Co., AR, d bef 1860 AR.
- Chelly CROOM (Major, Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b abt 1807; m Fnu GARDNER
- Alexander CROOM (Major, Jesse, Daniel of VA),
b abt 1816, d bet 1850 & 1860 Haywood Co., TN; m Tabitha BENTON, b abt 1821
NC, d aft 1880 Fulton Co., AR; Their issue, all born in TN:
- Benjamin Franklin CROOM, b 1834 TN, d aft 1860 (liv in Lawrence Co.,
AR); m abt 1857 Nancy J. Lnu; at least 2 sons
- Henry CROOM, b 1838 TN, d aft 1870; m aft Jun 1860 Frances ROZZELL; Their issue,
all born in AR:
- James "Jim" Thomas CROOM, b abt 1866 A; d aft 1930
(living w/son Robert in
Jonesboro, AR); m Mary LNU Their issue, believed born in
- Robert Lee CROOM, b 26 Mar 1888, d Feb 1972 Jonesboro, AR; m
Lula LNU (1888-1974). Their issue:
- Sherrill Ezekial CROOM, b 18 Jul 1913, d 22 Feb 2005 Sharp Co, AR
- Taylor N. CROOM, b 27 Oct 1915, d 5 Nov 2005 Lawrence, AR
- Arron CROOM, b 1920
- daughter Croom, b 1922
- son CROOM, b 1925
- Basil Eugen CROOM, b 28 Mar 1927, d 7 Mar 1989 Jonesboro, AR
- son CROOM, b 1929
- George W. CROOM, abt 1892,
- Lorenzo Dowl (aka Lawrence Edward) CROOM, b 14 Sep 1893, d May
1976 Delano, CA;
- James Wesley CROOM, b 27 Mar 1896, d 15 Aug 1969 in Toone,
- Grace CROOM
- Lela CROOM
- Robert Lee CROOM, b aft 1860; 6 sons & 4 daus
- Nanny CROOM, b aft 1860
- Elsie CROOM, b aft 1860
- Mollie CROOM, b aft 1860
- Richard A. CROOM, b 16 Sep 1865, d 29 Mar 1943; m 1885 Eliza
WILLIAMS; 5 sons & 1 dau.
- James CROOM, b 1842 TN. I believe this is the same James who d bet
1870 & 1880 in Lawrence Co., AR and m 21 Oct 1866 Lawrence Co., TN Mary
Ann MILLIGAN. She married 2nd 22 May 1892 Hiram CROOM, s/o Benajah CROOM. (Seeking proof)
- John C. CROOM, b 1846 TN, d 3 Nov 1903 in Lawrence Co., AR); m
Margaret "Peggy" RANEY, b 19 Jun 1855; their issue, all born in Lawrence
- Josephus T. CROOM, b Nov 1876, d aft 1930 (living in Jackson Co, AR);
m Emma LNU, b 1877, d aft 1930; their issue, all born in AR:
- Hardy CROOM, b abt 1900
- Robert L. CROOM, b Nov 1903, d Feb 1962; m Hattie J. BRADLEY, b
10 Dec 1904, d Feb 1984 CA
- Jay CROOM, b abt 1906
- Grover CROOM, b abt 1908
- Dallas CROOM (dau), b 1910
- Evert CROOM, b 1912
- Hester CROOM, b 1913
- Olie CROOM, b 1915
- Willie CROOM, b 1917
- Pearl CROOM, b 1920
- Theodore B. CROOM, b 1878. d (living in Brady, Garvin
Co, OK, in 1930); m Leta E LNU
- Cleo Morgan CROOM, b Jan 1884, d Jan 1966 Memphis, Shelby Co, TN;
m Ruth M?, b 5 Aug 1893 AR, d Dec 1973 Little Rock, AR; their issue, all born in Lawrence Co, AR:
- Cleo Morgan CROOM, Jr., b 17 Jul 1926, d 4 May 1993 Carson, Los
Angeles, CA; m Louise Dorothy BAKER, b 1 Nov 1921 AR, d Aug 1991
Carson, Los Angeles, CA; their issue: 3 daughters.
- Paris "Pervis" Clinton CROOM, b 14 Apr 1886, d aft 1917 (living
in Garvin Co, OK)
- Stella CROOM, b Dec 1887
- Luther CROOM, b 26 Feb 1891, d aft 1917 (living in Lawrence
- Lawrence Arthur CROOM, b 13 Jul 1893 Lawrence Co, AR; d aft 1930
(living in Brownsville, TX); m
BESSIE WILSON, b c1899 TX; their issue:
- Lawrence Arthur CROOM, JR, b 3 Dec 1921 TX, d 19 Apr 1997
Brownwood, Brown Co, TX; m MARY LNU; 3 sons & 2 daus
- Joe CROOM, b 1847 TN
- Hardy CROOM, b 23 Apr 1850 TN, d 13 Mar 1932; m Martha M. SHARP (dau
of Ephraim SHARP b 1833 IN, lived in Lawrence & Fulton Counties, AR), b22
Nov 1859, d aft 1932 Thayer, MO; 2 daus & 2 sons.
|Note: After Elijah CROOM of Duplin County, NC, died in GA about 1803,
records reflect that the surname was spelled as GROOM. Records for most of the
offspring of Elijah and Catie Herring CROOM reveal this spelling, although an
"s" is occasionally added. Their son Charles and, later many of the
descendants of these offspring, assumed the surname GROOMS. Today in Texas,
for example, can be found families named CROOM, GROOM and GROOMS, all of whom
can be traced back to Elijah CROOM and his father Jesse CROOM of
Wayne County, NC. From extant North Carolina records, I have found no basis
for assuming that Elijah's surname was other than CROOM.
CLICK HERE AND READ WHY THIS WRITER BELIEVES
THAT THIS ELIJAH WAS A SON OF JESSE CROOM.
WHO WAS THIS ELIJAH GROOM?
- Elijah GROOM
b 1799 GA; d Dec 1859 Claiborne Parish, LA; m 1837 in Lowndes
Co, AL, Elizabeth BRYAN POU (POE),
widow of Dr. William POU (POE). They
had the following issue:
- Stephen GROOM, b abt 1838 AL; living in Claiborne Parish, LA in
- Indiana Cleopatra GROOM, b abt 1841 Montgomery, AL; living in Claiborne Parish,
LA in 1850.
- George GROOM, b abt 1845 Montgomery, AL; living in Claiborne Parish, LA in 1850;
reportedly died CSA in 1863.
- Needham York GROOM, b 6 Feb 1847 Union Parish, LA, d 12 Feb 1915
Hood Co., TX
Circumstantial evidence in AL suggests that this
Elijah might have been a brother of Charles & Wright GROOM, both sons of Elijah & Caty CROOM/GROOM.
Records reveal an Elijah and Wright living concurrently in
Montgomery County, AL while Charles lived in nearby Wilcox County. This writer has found no proof and would welcome
any additional information to support such a relationship. Please
E-mail link at bottom of this page.
Note: LNU= last name unknown
FNU=first name unknown
Click to return to:
CROOM GENEALOGY PAGE
Top of Page
This page was last revised on 7 December 2014
1995-2015 by John H. Croom, all rights reserved.