MOORE (MOHR) FAMILIES
Eastern North Carolina, Especially New Hanover County
Living in New Hanover County during much of the eighteenth and
nineteenth centuries were three families with the name MOORE, each having no
apparent kinship to the other. One of the more prominent of these lines is
the progeny of James MOORE of Ireland who immigrated to Charleston, SC, and
became Governor in 1700. I hope to display information on this Irish MOORE
line on another page at some future date.
This page traces the MOORE ancestry and some peripheral lines of
Sophia Elizabeth MOORE who
married Nathan Richard CROOM, Sr. on
October 10, 1839 in what is now Pender County, NC. They were my second
great-grandparents. Tracing the ancestors and cousins of Sophia has been a
difficult process, made even more so by the fact that the New Hanover
Courthouse burned on three separate occasions with a devastating loss of
valuable information. With the valued work of such researchers as Elizabeth
F. McKoy of Wilmington, NC in her book Early New Hanover County Records,
As Understood by (the author) and Stanley Harold Harts in his book,
Futch, Reeves and Bordeaux Family Directory, Volume 4, as well as
several, well-appreciated correspondents including Richard Booth, I believe
I have succeeded in tracing Sophia's parentage back to one Dennis MOHR, born
about 1680-1690 in the Rhine Palatinate area of Germany. Here follows
information as to ancestors, aunts, uncles, cousins and siblings of Sophia:
Dennis Mohr and His Descendants
|In his Reeves and Bordeaux Family Directory,
Volume IV, Stanley H. Harts wrote: "Dennis Mohr, or Moore, was
born in the Rhine Palatinate area of Germany about 1680 or 1690. His
wife Elizabeth is believed to have come from the same area. Elizabeth's
maiden name is unknown. In 1710, they came to America with a party led
by Baron de Graffenreid to escape both the wars between France and
Germany and the religious intolerance in the area. These people founded
the town of New Berne, later New Bern, N.C., which led to the forming of
Craven Precinct, later Craven County, N.C. in 1712. They courageously
held their own against the hardships of pioneer life in the wilderness
and fended off a fierce attack by the Tuscarawas Indians of that area.
Dennis Moore, Senior, died in Craven County
in the year 1734."
From Craven County DB I-235 we
learn that one Dennis MOORE sold lots in New Bern in 1730. This writer
has found no further mention of a Dennis Moore until the following
The North Carolina
Secretary of State's Records (Inventories, SS. 004.1) contains an
inventory taken the 2nd day of August 1734 of the goods and
chattels of a Dennis Moore, deceased. The following day, Elizabeth
Moore, Subscriber & administratix (sic) to Dennis Moore Deceased,
appeared and under oath made her mark that the inventory was just and
As noted in following passages,
Dennis MOHR (MOORE) apparently had a son named Dennis MOORE. Some
actions of the father appear to be mistakenly attributed to the son by
some family researchers.
Was Dennis Mohr (Moor, Moore) a Palatine?
Stanley H. Harts wrote rather emphatically that "Dennis Mohr, or
Moore," came to New Bern in 1710 with the party of Palatines
led by Baron de Graffenreid. According to Victor T. Jones, Jr, Local
History and Genealogy Librarian, New Bern-Craven County Public
Library, however, "No
such list of passengers who sailed from England to Virginia/North
Carolina in 1709/10 has survived; or if it has survived, it has not
been located." Mr. Jones has published, however, a list of
passengers who appear to have been in the party of Baron de
Graffenreid. The list is based on his study of contemporaneous
records. Among those, he lists one Adam Moor and a Dennis
Moor, the latter based on his name appearing as a 1747 petitioner.
It is the conclusion of this writer that the DENNIS MOORE who died
in Craven County, NC, in 1734 very likely was a member of the party
that landed in 1710 and founded the town of New Bern.
Additionally, this writer believes that the DENNIS MOORE, who signed
the Petition of the Palatines in 1747, was a son of the Dennis
MOORE who died in 1734. The petition was for land which had been promised the
taken from them under questionable pretenses. The NC
Assembly met in Newbern (later renamed New Bern) on September 28, 1749 to
consider their petition.
|Dennis MOORE, Senior,
is believed to have been among the Palatines settling in 1710 in an area
of the North Carolina Colony that became Craven County. (Please read the
comments of Victor T. Jones in the top, right-hand box). Dennis Moore,
Sr. died in Craven County
about 1734. He and his wife Elizabeth apparently had a son, Dennis, Jr. It
is possible that they
had other issue.
Dennis MOORE, Jr. (Dennis, Sr.),
born about 1715 in Craven County; died after 4 Jul 1771 New Hanover Co. He
married a Sarah, possibly a PETTIGREW or a MALPAS. Sarah's parents must be
treated as speculative at this time.
Following the death of Dennis MOORE, Sr. in 1734, land documents suggest
that his wife, the "Widow MOORE," moved with her remaining family to New
Hanover County, which at that time comprised most of the southeastern
portion of the colony of North Carolina. They settled along what is now
known as Moore's Creek. This area is remembered today for an important
Revolutionary War battle between the Patriots and Loyalists.
Dennis MOORE, Jr. was born about 1715 in
Craven County and is believed to have died shortly after July 4, 1771 in New
Hanover County (now Pender). Patent Book 5, #3507, page 365, reveals that a
Dennis MOORE was granted on 20 April 1745 a patent for 320 acres on the east
side of Moore's Creek in New Hanover County.
Records and names given children suggest that
Dennis MOORE possibly married a Sarah PETTIGREW, as reported by Stanley Harts.
Possibly she was a MALPAS. Early
Colonial Census records show several PETTIGREW families in Virginia and
northeastern North Carolina; however, my studies have ruled out a MOORE
connection to the PETTIGREW families I have found in early NC records. As
previously stated, a PETTIGREW connection should be viewed as very
speculative at this time. Information posted in the box to the right remains
under study, however, and this writer welcomes any comments or proof from
Dennis and Sarah MOORE, Jr., had the
|The following excerpt from email dated 13 Dec 2001
was sent to this writer by George Moore of eastern North Carolina.
It has been retyped exactly (typos and all) as it was received:
My name is George Moore and I live, as much of my family has, in
Eastern, NC. I was directed to your Croom family tree while talking
with contacts in VA. about the Pettigrew family. I have found single
points of information from Heindenburg GM in what was the Rhine
Palatine That listed Dennis Mohr Sr. wife as elizabeth Rabnson
Petigru, I also got a single date point in VA listing Sarah
Elizabeth Pettigrew as Dennis Mohr Jr. wife. She was the sister of a
James Pettigrew of Prince Henry Co. VA later he died in SC, but came
from Ireland to Penn that to VA than to NC and last to sC. His grand
father also Married Martha Ann Moore in Scotland. A point of
interest shows she is kin to James Moore of Charleston fame by
several generations back.
Seeing your Moore page which confirmed mjch of what I had found, and
added a full wing of Croom's I though you might haave seen data
which would give me a better feeling on this trace.
My suspensions from what I am getting out of Germany, Denmark, and
Scotland is the Moh's and Pettigrews fled Scotland around 1666 to
Denmark than to the Rhine Palatine area for the Mohrs and France for
the Pettigrews. The Pettigrews are listed as moving back to the
Rhine in the late 1680 - 1690 period when the French took great
pleasure in killing all Protestants they could find. I think this
was also the same Mohr/More group that settled in the south of Spain
around 1670 for the same reason. I know the line in Spain is kin to
the Martha Ann Mohr who Married James Pettigrew in Scotland. In
France the Pettigrews are listed as Huguenots. The information also
refers to the original More's/Mohr coming to Scotland from
Germany/Rhine and Denmark around or before 1100 AD. I think I have a
long way to go before I have confident in these suspensions.
I have found Dennis Mohr Sr. Father with only one data point only.
He is listed as Georg Mohr who came to Denmark in 1666 from Scotland
with his brother William Mohr and father Robert Mohr. Both Robert
and William died from injuries received in Scotland in 1666. Dave
died in Denmark, Georg died in the Rhine River area of Germany
between 1695 and 1711.
An attempted contact by this writer via e-mail to George Moore (GESAG@aol.com}
on 1 December 2008 failed. I have been unable to find if he has a
different address or if he is still living.
born about 1745, died in or just prior to 1809. A land record dated 22
April 1782 shows him to be the "eldest son of Dennis MOORE..." William
married Mary "Polly" REILLY 27 Sep 1779 in New Hanover County, NC. William
and Polly had the following issue, all born in New Hanover County:
- William MOORE (Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.)
- John Robert MOORE (William, Dennis, Jr., Dennis,
Sr.), b 27 Dec 1783 , d 30 Nov 1844 NH Co, NC; m Eleanor
TAYLOR, b 1792 NHC, d aft 1850 NHC; dau of Henry and Mary Larkins
TAYLOR. Issue of John Robert & Eleanor MOORE, all born in NH County:
- Mary MOORE, b 1817, d 16 Mar 1849 NHC; m abt 1835 John Bright
HERRING, b 1810, his 1st of 3 wives. Their issue: 2 daus & 3 sons.
- Sophia Elizabeth MOORE was born in
1822 and died in 1861 in New Hanover County. She married
Nathan Richard CROOM, Sr. on October 10,
1839 in New Hanover County, NC. Nathan was the son of James Frederick
CROOM and his wife Rebecca MALPASS. James Frederick is believed by
some to have been a son of Major CROOM and his second wife Susannah
Hardee ENLOE, widow of Abraham ENLOE. Major was the son of Daniel
CROOM and his first wife Elizabeth who lived along the James River in
Goochland County, VA. There is no apparent proof to support this
belief. On the pages you can read why I believe James Frederick CROOM
more likely was a descendant of Abel, older brother of Major. The
issue of Sophia Elizabeth and Nathan Richard CROOM may be seen by
clicking on the Descendants of James Frederick
- Anna Bella MOORE, b 19 April 1824, d bef 1844 NHC.
- John Taylor MOORE, b 18 Feb 1826; m Anabella KEITH, a dau
- Charles Peyton MOORE, b abt 1829; m 1 May 1851 NHC Maria ROBINSON;
5 daus & 3 sons.
- William H. MOORE, b abt 1830; d 1862 CSA, in the War Between the
- Mary MOORE (William, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b 1788; m Fnu MOTT.
- Pettigrew MOORE (William, Dennis, Jr., Dennis,
Sr.), b 1788-1809. Reportedly, he never married.
- Elizabeth MOORE (William, Dennis, Jr., Dennis,
Sr.), b 1790-1799, m Alexander BORDEAUX.
- Sarah MOORE (William, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b abt 1800; m James MOTT (MOTTE).
- Dennis MOORE, III (William, Dennis, Jr., Dennis,
Sr.), b 1802; m Mary PARKER.
- Ann MOORE (William, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b abt 1806; m Samuel J. MOORE, son of Benjamin D. MOORE and his wife,
the former Dorcas JONES. See Benjamin D. MOORE section below for issue
of Ann and Samuel J. MOORE.
- James J. MOORE (William, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b abt 1809; m Adalia SHARPLESS.
William MOORE (Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), according to court records, sired a son
and daughter by Mary Ann DeBOSE, dau of Antoine and Ann Poitevent DeBOSE.
William & Mary Ann's issue born out of wedlock were:
- George (DeBOSE) MOORE (William, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b 1787; d aft 1833; m Beneda ROOKS, dau of
Jesse and Sarah Moore ROOKS and a 1st cousin. As an adult, George
assumed his father's surname.
- Catherine (DeBOSE) (MOORE), b 1791, d bet 1870 & 1880; m William
MALPASS, son of Simon & Mary MALPASS. Catherine & William had 2 sons & 2
Samuel MOORE (Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b 1740-1749; never married.
Sarah MOORE (Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b NHC, d 1829-1830; m 17 Jun 1801 NHC Jesse ROOKS; a dau, Bennetto.
Pettigrew MOORE (Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b 1747 NHC, d 14 Dec 1802; m Mary EARLE. I am looking for further
documentation to verify that this Pettigrew was the son of Dennis MOORE,
Jr. His name--Pettigrew--strongly suggests that his mother was a
- James Pettigrew MOORE, Capt., (Pettigrew, Dennis,
Jr., Dennis, Sr.), b 24 Mar 1775, d 10 May 1848 NHC; m Ann
Elizabeth ROWE, b 1784, d 13 Sep 1852 NHC. Their issue, all born in NHC:
- Mary Jane MOORE, b 1805, d aft 1850; m John F. PRIDGEN, b 1794, d
- Harriet Zilphia MOORE, b 1808, d aft 1850, m Frank M. PRIDGEN, b
1800, d aft 1850.
- Alfred L. MOORE, Capt., b 1810, d 1856; m 1st Elizabeth
MURRAY, b 1843; a dau & 2 sons; m 2nd Charity Houston MURRY.
- James Pettigrew MOORE, Jr., b 17 Oct 1812, d 31 Aug 1889; m 28 Jun
1849 Mary E. MURPHY, b 10 Jul 1825, d 12 Nov 1904.
- George J. MOORE, b 1815, d 31 Oct 1860; m Hulda MURRY.
- Henry MOORE, b 7 Sep 1819, d 21 Apr, 1833.
- Joel L. MOORE, b 8 Sep 1819, d 20 Mar 1871, m 29 Oct 1845 Ann
Elizabeth HAWES, b 25 Apr 1829, d 8 May 1910.
- Elizabeth MOORE, b 1823, d 1865; m Daniel SHAW.
- William J. MOORE, b 1826; m Emmaline SIMPSON.
- Emaline MOORE, b 1827; m Daniel W. MOTTE or Fletcher H. BELL
- Ellen Toomer MOORE. b 1829, m 12 Sep 1853 Owen FENNELL, Jr., b 1831.
- John Frederick MOORE, Capt., b 1832, d abt 1868; m 12 Sep 1853
Catherine E. JONES, b 1838, d 8 Jan 1863; a son & 2 daus.
- John MOORE (Pettigrew, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
- Ann MOORE (Pettigrew, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
- William MOORE (Pettigrew, Dennis, Jr., Dennis,
Sr.), b 1780-1790;
- Benjamin C. MOORE (Pettigrew, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), born 1794; died Nov 21, 1851 in New Hanover
County; m. Mary Jane LARKINS, dau of Robert LARKINS and his wife,
Deborah Jane SHARPLESS. Benjamin and Mary Jane MOORE had the following
- William L. MOORE (Benj. C, Pettigrew, Dennis,
Jr., Dennis, Sr.), b 1825; d 1 Apr 1847 near Currie, NC.
- Mary D. MOORE (Benj. C, Pettigrew, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b 1827; d 22 Apr 1852; m 5 Feb 1850 NHC
Thomas W. DeVANE, b 1825; a dau, Octavia.
- Elizabeth Jane MOORE (Benj. C, Pettigrew,
Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.), b 1832; d 20 Nov 1845 near
- Margaret A. MOORE (Benj. C, Pettigrew, Dennis,
Jr., Dennis, Sr.), b 1834; d aft Apr 1861; m J. A. HARMAN.
- Harriett D. MOORE (Benj. C, Pettigrew, Dennis,
Jr., Dennis, Sr.), b 1838; d aft Apr 1861; m Evan L. MILLER
- Holmes MOORE (Benj. C, Pettigrew, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b 9 Jul 1839; d 7 Nov 1843.
- Porter R. MOORE (Benj. C, Pettigrew, Dennis,
Jr., Dennis, Sr.), b 1840; d 1851-1861.
- John James MOORE (Benj. C, Pettigrew, Dennis,
Jr., Dennis, Sr.), b 1843; d 17 Apr 1844 near Currie, NC.
- Henry MOORE (Benj. C, Pettigrew, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b 1844; d 9 Nov 1848 near Currie, NC.
Ann MOORE (Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b N.H. Co. abt 1745, d ~1795; m George NEWTON, d bef 4 Jul 1771 NH Co.
James MOORE, Sr. (Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b. Feb 1748/49 New Hanover Co., married a Miss STRAUGHN. They had the
- William Rufus MOORE (James,
Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.), b 1806; d 14 Jun 1865; m 1st 12
Dec 1829 Elizabeth Ann LAMB, d/o Isaac Cowan & Mary Hendry LAMB. They
had the following issue, all born in New Hanover County:
- Isaac James MOORE, b 1833; d 29 Sep 1864 in CSA; m Jan 26 1856
Catherine "Kate" CROOM, dau of Jesse &
Julia Lamb CROOM; their issue, all born in New Hanover County:
- Julia E. MOORE, b 9 Nov 1856, d 16 Feb 1931, m George Washington
BARNES; 2 sons & 2 daus.
- Mary Susan MOORE, b 27 Mar 1858, d 13 Aug 1945 Wilmington, NC; m
19 Feb 1875 Union County, NC, John J. PICKARD; 2 sons
- William James MOORE, b 8 Feb 1860, d 20 FEb 1913 Mecklenburg Co,
NC; 2 daus & a son.
- Margaret Ann Davis MOORE, b 1 Mar 1862, d 26 Sep 1945; m James
Harvey HAMILTON, 2 sons.
- Thankful Jane MOORE, b abt 1837; m 1st 1 Dec 1853 Hillary CROOM; a
son & a dau. She m 2nd 14 Nov 1866 Rufus COLLINS, widower of her
sister Mary Ann.
- Mary Ann MOORE, b abt 1840, d 5 Jul 1866; m Oct 1859 Rufus COLLINS
William Rufus MOORE (James, Dennis, Jr., Dennis,
Sr.) m 2nd on 11 Mar 1850 in NHC
Cena R. CROOM. William and Cena had the following issue:
- Elizabeth Croom MOORE, b 6 Jan 1851; d 25 Nov 1933; m 23 Mar 1871
James Alexander BORDEAUX; 3 sons.
- Susan E. MOORE, b abt 1854, m Samuel HERRING
- Martha Ann "Mattie" MOORE, b 28 Jan 1860, d 15 Oct 1934; m William
Thomas BORDEAUX; 5 daus & 2 sons.
Jacob MOORE (Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt. 1750; d abt 1824 N.H. Co.
(Speculative son of Dennis Moore; no
proof). Circumstantial evidence suggests he possibly was a son of
Dennis MOORE, Jr., See section below for more information
Benjamin D. MOORE (Dennis,
Jr., Dennis, Sr.), b 1760-1775, d 1834 N.H. Co. (Sarah
Moore ROOKS' Will dated June 4, 1829 indicates that she had a brother
named Benjamin living at that time. See section below
for more information on Benjamin D.)
Descendants of Benjamin D. Moore
Benjamin D. MOORE (Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.) was born before 1775, perhaps as early as
1760. I used the following information to estimate his date of birth:
Benjamin D. MOORE appeared in the 1820 census for New Hanover County and was
shown as "45 and up." Therefore, it seems that he was born in 1775 or
earlier. Benjamin D. MOORE most likely died in 1834 based on the fact that
his will was dated February 4, 1834 and probated in December 1834.
Benjamin D. MOORE (Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.) married twice and we know of 12 children that
he had by his two wives. There remains speculation as to the proper
association of some of these children with the respective mother. Benjamin
first married Dorcas JONES, daughter of John JONES, Jr. In JONES' will dated
July 28, 1812, he names children of his deceased daughter Dorcas. This helps
us establish the issue of Benjamin D. and Dorcas Jones MOORE who was b bef
1775 and d bef 1807.
- Lucy MOORE (Benj. D, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b 1795-1805; d bef Feb 4, 1834 (date of Benjamin's Will). Anthony BORDEAUX
mentioned in Benjamin's Will appears to have been Lucy's widower. Anthony's
second wife, Margaret DEVANE, died 4 Dec 1833 in Long Creek. Did the
recently married Lucy die in childbirth?
- Rebecca MOORE (Benj. D, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b bef 1812, d bef 1850; m Timothy CROOM,
b 1800 in N.H. Co., believed to be the son of John CROOM or Major CROOM
and the grandson of Abel CROOM; d bef 1870 in Rocky Point, Pender Co., NC.
Rebecca and Timothy had one son and six daughters.
- Mariah MOORE (Benj. D, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b abt 1800; m Hugh SHARPLESS; 7 children by 1850
- Alfred M. MOORE (Benj. D, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b abt 1802; d bef Jun 1870; m Anna Jane HERRING; had at least 10 children,
all born in New Hanover County:
- Benjamin MOORE (Alfred M., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1828;
- John MOORE (Alfred M., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1828; John and Benjamin probably were
- Anna Jane MOORE (Alfred M., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1831; m Whitney HARRIS of Pitt Co.;
- Emily Louise MOORE (Alfred M., Benj. D, Dennis,
Jr., Dennis, Sr.), b 10 Nov 1833; m James Nelson NICHOLS of
Pitt Co., a cousin of Whitney HARRIS; Emily d in Pitt Co.
- James MOORE (Alfred M., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1835
- Eliza MOORE (Alfred M., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1840
- William MOORE (Alfred M., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1842
- Henry MOORE (Alfred M., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1844
- Mariah MOORE (Alfred M., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1846
- Thaddeus MOORE (Alfred M., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1848
- Samuel J. MOORE (Benj. D, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b abt 1803; m Ann MOORE, b abt 1806, the daughter of William and Margaret
(maiden name unknown) MOORE; Samuel and Ann had the following issue, all
born in New Hanover County:
- Benjamin D. MOORE (Samuel J., Benj. D, Dennis,
Jr., Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1829
- James MOORE (Samuel J., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1832
- Margaret A. MOORE (Samuel J., Benj. D, Dennis,
Jr., Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1835
- Elizabeth MOORE (Samuel J., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1837
- David L. MOORE (Samuel J., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1838
- Amanda E. MOORE (Samuel J., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1842
- Edward Warren MOORE (Samuel J., Benj. D, Dennis,
Jr., Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1842
- Alice V. MOORE (Samuel J., Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1848
- Mary Jane MOORE (Benj. D, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b abt 1808; m John B. WOODCOCK; they had several children.
- John D. MOORE (Benj. D, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b abt 1811; m Celia E. WOODCOCK; had at least 2 children
Benjamin D. MOORE (Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.) next married about 1807 Jane LNU (last name
unknown). Some have speculated that Benjamin's second wife was Mary Jane WOODCOCK, dau of
William and Elizabeth WOODCOCK. An inspection of the known facts, especially
land records, does not support this speculation. Benjamin D. and Jane
(last name unknown) MOORE had the following
- Sophiah MOORE (Benj. D, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
mentioned in Benjamin's Will
- Huldah MOORE (Benj. D, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b abt 1816; m George W. WOODCOCK (possibly); several children if marriage
- Morris (Maurice) MOORE (Benj. D, Dennis, Jr.,
Dennis, Sr.), b abt 1819; living alone in 1850; moved to Drew
Co., AR bef 1860.
- Emily MOORE (Benj. D, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b abt 1819; m James Madison ROOKS, b 23 July 1813, (his first of three
wives); they had 3 sons & 1 dau.
- Eliza MOORE (Benj. D, Dennis, Jr., Dennis, Sr.),
b abt 1825; m John Jones ROOKS, b. 1821, brother of James; they had 9
New Hanover County record, W 15-1835, Division of Estate of Benjamin D.
MOORE, shows these names:
Mariah SHARPLESS, Eliza ROOKS, Mary J. WOODCOCK, Emily L. MOORE, Anthony
BORDEAUX, Rebecca CROOM, Samuel J. MOORE, Huldah MOORE, Morris MOORE and
Alfred M. MOORE.
Three names appearing in Benjamin's Will are noticeably absent from this
list: Lucy, Sophia and John. Lucy apparently married Anthony D. BORDEAUX
shortly after her father wrote his will in February 1834 and died before
the distribution was made of his estate in March 1835. Anthony received
Lucy's share of the estate. Sophia and John were not listed in the division of the estate because they
were bequeathed separate parcels of land in Benjamin's Will.
Note these 1830 and 1835 New Hanover records:
U 103-1830 "...being Morris Moore's distributive share of the estate of
Benjamin Moore dec'd..." and this 1835 record: W321-1835: Maurice Moore to
John D. Moore ..."being my distributive share of the land of my father
Benjamin Moore." These two land records reveal that Benjamin had a son named
Maurice and that the son inherited a share of Benjamin's estate in or before
1835. (There seems to be some confusion as to these 1830 and 1835 dates. I
believe the 1830 date to be incorrectly recorded). This is Morris (Maurice)
and his brother John D., both sons of Benjamin D. MOORE and his second wife,
After a great deal of study, it is my belief that Benjamin D. MOORE was a
son of Dennis MOORE, Jr. One correspondent who is a descendant of Benjamin
D. MOORE, David Woodcock, helped guide my thinking on this matter and I am
now of the opinion that it is most likely that the Benjamin mentioned as a
brother by Sarah, the daughter of Dennis MOORE, Jr., is in reality Benjamin
D. MOORE, born between 1760 and 1775. Some continue to confuse
Benjamin D. MOORE with Benjamin C. MOORE. For now, I shall accept the parents of
Benjamin D. MOORE as Dennis and Sarah Pettigrew MOORE, Jr. and
the parents of Benjamin C. MOORE as Pettigrew and Mary
Earle MOORE. More supporting
evidence would be most welcome.
Return to Benjamin D., son of Dennis Moore, Jr.
Return to Timothy Croom, husband of
Descendants of Jacob Moore, Senior
The progenitor of many MOORE families
in New Hanover County was Jacob MOORE, Sr., born about 1750. Although I
have found no records or other proof, there seems to be no
evidence that Jacob was a son of Dennis and Sarah Elizabeth Pettigrew
MOORE. This should be considered speculative. I found a John PETTIGREW and a William PETTIGREW listed in Orange
County, NC in 1779. At first blush, this appears noteworthy, inasmuch as
part of Craven County was used in the formation of Orange County in
1752; however, my studies indicate no MOORE connection to these two NC PETTIGREWS. Dennis MOORE, Jr., appears to have been living in Craven
when he married Sarah, who possibly was a PETTIGREW. Stanley Harts
stated that Sarah PETTIGREW was from Virginia; however, I have not found
confirming evidence. I found no PETTIGREW families living in New Hanover
County. No where else have I observed PETTIGREW used as a given
name during that period, other than by the MOORE families. It strikes me
as unlikely that Jacob would have a son named PETTIGREW, unless he
or his wife were related to a PETTIGREW. Since we know that his second
wife, who was the mother of their son, Pettigrew, was not so related,
that points to Jacob as a possible and speculative son of Dennis and Sarah Pettigrew?
The late Caleb E Molpus, a pharmacist in
Mobile, AL, spent many years researching his ancestor, PETTIGREW MOORE,
son of JACOB MOORE of New Hanover County, NC. This is the same PETTIGREW
MOORE who was born in NC and later settled in Neshoba County, MS. For
several years this writer exchanged a good amount of correspondence with
Caleb. He was convinced back in the 1990s that his 3rd
great-grandfather, JACOB MOORE (1750-c1824), a relatively poor farmer,
was NOT descended from the relatively
well-to-do DENNIS MOORE, JR (c1715-c1771). After years of research and
consulting with Helen Sammons Moore, a highly respected genealogist in
Wilmington, NC, Caleb E. Molpus was still of the same opinion at his
death in early 2010.
JACOB MOORE (1750-c1824) is known to have married twice, first to a Mary (EAKINS?)
and second to Margaret BONHAM.
Jacob and Mary MOORE, Senior, had the
- Jordan MOORE (Jacob, Sr.), b bef 1794, d
1830-1850 New Hanover Co; m Martha (WILSON?) (note: surname not proved),
she died aft 1870; their issue, b in New Hanover County, NC:
- W. (Wilson?) E. MOORE (Jordan, Jacob, Sr.),
b abt 1824, d aft 1870; m Elizabeth J. LNU. They had a son, Francis, and
census records suggest other children, b New Hanover Co. The given name
of this MOORE is listed by the census enumerator in 1850 as 'William
E.'; in 1860 as 'W. E.'; and in 1870 as 'Wilson." I note that in the
1850 household was a Liz WILSON, age 46; in the 1860 household was a
George WILSON, age 55, and in the 1870 household was a George WILSON,
age 65. It is not clear to me that all of the younger males and females
listed in the 1870 household of Wilson MOORE are his issue. If someone
can clarify this, I would appreciate hearing from you.)
- Francis MOORE (W. E., Jordan, Jacob, Sr.),
b abt 1852, living in 1870 in Caswell Twnshp, New Hanover County.
(Note: One correspondent, a descendant, reported that his middle name
was Wilson. I have not confirmed this.)
- Jacob MOORE, Junior (Jacob, Sr.), b bef
1794, d aft 1821
Jacob MOORE, Sr. next married abt 1797
Margaret BONHAM, daughter of Hezekiah and Ann Gufford BONHAM, Sr, and
the granddaughter of Samuel and Thomasine Carter BONHAM, III. Margaret b abt
1778 in NHC, d aft 1860 in Covington, AL; Jacob and Margaret had the
following eleven children, all born in New Hanover County:
- Aaron Thomas MOORE, (Jacob, Sr.), b abt
1798, d 25 Dec 1861; m Elizabeth LNU.
- Wiley MOORE (Jacob, Sr.), b abt 1799; d
Sep 1869 in NHC; m Dorothy CHESTNUT.
- Wesley MOORE, (Jacob, Sr.), b abt 1799,
d aft 1850; m Doty LNU; at least 6 children.
- Willoughby MOORE (Jacob, Sr.), b 26 Oct
1800, d 26 Oct 1883 Pender Co.; m 1st Sarah EAKINS, d 1839-1847; 5 sons &
a dau; m 2nd aft 1847 Mary Lnu, b 1814, d aft 1857; a son & 4 daus.
- Julius MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
- Andrew MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
- William Pettigrew MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.)b
4 Apr 1828, d 30 Apr 1911 NHC, m 1st 2 Nov 1847 Mary Ann "Spicey" WELLS,
b 1827, d d/o Alexander & Ann Flanagan WELLS. Their issue, all b in NHC
- Luther MOORE (Pettigrew, Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
- Lucy MOORE (Pettigrew, Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
b 1850, d 4 Nov 1925
- Martha P. MOORE (Pettigrew, Willoughby, Jacob,
Sr.), b 22 Jun 1852, d 3 Jul 1925 NHC; m Robert C. HENRY.
- Spicey MOORE (Pettigrew, Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
b 25 Sep 1853, d 19 Feb 1929; m William George HORRELL
William Pettigrew MOORE m 19 Jul 1855 NHC Margaret Catherine WELLS,
d/o Teachey & Winifred Stallings WELLS. They had the following issue,
all born in NHC:
- Mary W. MOORE (Pettigrew, Willoughby, Jacob,
Sr.), b 1856
- Winnie A. MOORE (Pettigrew, Willoughby, Jacob,
Sr.), b 1856
- Margaret MOORE (Pettigrew, Willoughby, Jacob,
Sr.), b 1859
- Wade Hampton MOORE (Pettigrew, Willoughby,
Jacob, Sr.), b 17 Jun 1866
- Rebecca Elizabeth MOORE (Pettigrew, Willoughby,
Jacob, Sr.), b 30 Apr 1867
- Ella MOORE (Pettigrew, Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
b aft 1870
- Rosella MOORE (Pettigrew, Willoughby, Jacob,
Sr.), b aft 1870
- John MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.), b
1830, m Mary LNU
- Wiley MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
b 27 Mar 1833, d 3 Sep 1913; m 8 Apr 1855 Linda Ann WELLS
- Margaret E. MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
b 1835, m Boney WELLS
- David MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
- Timothy MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
b 9 Sep 1839, d 29 Aug 1919 Pender Co; m Mary Caroline GURGANOUS, dau of
Noah & Peggy GURGANOUS. Their issue, all born in NHC (data per L.
- Petagrew (sic) MOORE, b 1867, d 1944 Hoke Co, NC; m Annie McInnis GILLIS
- Dallas MOORE, b 1869
- Ann E. MOORE, b 1872
- McCumber MOORE, b 1874
- Bruce MOORE, b 1877
- Mary J. MOORE, b Sep 1879
- Appie (?) MOORE, b Aug 1881
- Ephraim MOORE, b Jun 1885
Willoughby MOORE (Jacob, Sr.), aft the death of Sarah bet 1839 and 1847, m Mary
Johnson, b 25 Dec 1815, d 12 Jan 1886. Their issue:
- James K. P. MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
b 19 Nov 1847, d 30 Jul 1933 in Duplin Co. NC; m 24 Apr 1864 Martha REEVES;
their issue, all born in Duplin Co, NC:
- Richard Henry MOORE, b abt 1867, d 16 Jun 1949 in Sampson Co,
NC; m 2 Jun 1895 Hannah Cornelia "Nelly" HILL; their issue,
b in Duplin County, NC:
- Harriet MOORE, b Feb 1896
- Richard Hobson MOORE., b 11 Feb 1899, d 19 Jul 1976.
- Annie MOORE. b abt 1902
- Ivey T. MOORE, b abt 1905
- William H. MOORE, b abt 1908
- Thomas H. MOORE, b abt 1910
- Louis MOORE, b abt 1912
- Luther MOORE, b abt 1916
- James Stedman MOORE, b 20 Sep 1918, d 10 Oct 2009;
- Mariah MOORE, b abt 1924
- J. W. MOORE, b abt 1869
- Jack J. MOORE, b abt 1872
- Mary E. MOORE, b abt 1874
- Charlie MOORE, b abt 1875
- Alex MOORE, b abt 1877
- Sarah A. MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
b 25 Jun 1851, d 6 Aug 1932; m J. Almon GURANIOUS
- Hepsy J. MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
b 25 Nov 1852
- Susan MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
b 15 Feb 1856
- Catherine MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
b 11 Mar 1857
- Jacob MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.) (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.), b 15 Jun 1860
- R. H. MOORE (Willoughby, Jacob, Sr.),
b 25 May 1865
- Anna MOORE, (Jacob, Sr.), b abt 1802, d
aft 1850, m William KINNION; dau Margaet and son Jacob.
- Margaret MOORE (Jacob, Sr.), b abt 1803;
d aft 1850; m Kilby DeBOSE.
- Pettigrew MOORE (Jacob, Sr.), b 17 Apr
1806, d 20 Jul 1877 Neshoba Co., MS; m Dinah ALDERMAN (1804-1858). They
had the following issue, the first six born in New Hanover County, NC, and
the last four born in Neshoba Co, MS:
- Elizabeth MOORE, (Pettigrew, Jacob, Sr.),
b 14 Feb 1830, m William HAMILTON
- Jacob Daniel MOORE, (Pettigrew, Jacob, Sr.),
b 1 Jul 1831; d 1913; m Millie BAMBURG
- Isaac Alderman MOORE, (Pettigrew, Jacob, Sr.),
b 17 Dec 1832; d 2 Jul 1863 CSA, Gettysburg, PA
- David MOORE, (Pettigrew, Jacob, Sr.),
7 Sep 1834, d 3 Jul 1863 CSA, Gettyburg, PA
- Margaret Ann MOORE, (Pettigrew, Jacob, Sr.),
b 9 Oct 1836, d 24 Jul 1902 MS; m Timothy FAKS
- Joshua Lawrence MOORE, (Pettigrew, Jacob, Sr.),
17 Aug 1838, d 13 Nov 1886 MS; m Nancy SMITH
- John MOORE, (Pettigrew, Jacob, Sr.), b
18 Jul 1841, d 18 Mar 1913 MS; m Lucy Ann GRIFFIN
- Susan MOORE, (Pettigrew, Jacob, Sr.),
b abt 1842 MS
- Owen MOORE, (Pettigrew, Jacob, Sr.), b
14 Feb 1844, d 2 Nov 1916 MS; m Carline COOPER
- Nancy Rebecca MOORE, (Pettigrew, Jacob, Sr.),
b 7 Jan 1847 Neshoba Co, MS; d 25 Dec 1909 Neshoba Co, MS; m Caleb
- Matilda Tallitha MOORE (Jacob, Sr.), b
abt 1808; m James GARRIS.
- Mariah MOORE (Jacob, Sr.), b abt 1812; d
aft 1870 Conecah Co. AL; m Joshua HALE.[This dau may
belong to different parents. Under review.]
- Jerusha Ann MOORE (Jacob, Sr.), b 13 Oct
1813; d 22 May 1900 Lauderdale Co., MS; m Samuel James (Malpass) MOLPUS,
(1797- 1890). He possibly was a son of John MALPASS. (Any help would be
- Jane MOORE (Jacob, Sr.), b 8 Oct 1815; d
13 Jul 1898 Ben Hill Co. GA; m Rufus W. GARRIS.
- Celia MOORE (Jacob, Sr.), b abt 1817; d
abt 1870 in Covington Co. AL; m Austin BEASLEY. [This
dau may belong to different parents. Under review.]
- Hillary MOORE (Jacob, Sr.), b abt 1820;
m Susan B. DAVIS 17 Mar 1859 Navaro, Hardin Co., TX; Sheriff of Hardin Co
- Bryant MOORE (Jacob, Sr.), b 29 Oct
1822; d 6 Sep 1904 Pender Co., NC; m Mary Ann SAVAGE 10 Sep 1851 in NHC,
NC. Their issue: 3 daus, 2 sons, perhaps more.
I think it noteworthy that Jacob MOORE, Sr, named a son Pettigrew. That
name seems to be of uncommon usage in southeastern North Carolina at that
time and I have not seen it as a given name for families other than the
Moores. This suggests to me that Jacob MOORE either had a blood
relationship with Dennis who appears to have married Sarah PETTIGREW or a
very strong acquaintanceship with their offspring. Does anyone have any
knowledge to share on this matter?
Return to Jacob Moore, Sr., possible and speculative son of Dennis
My sincere thanks to: the late Terri Brown, APG. A Malpass descendant, she has
provided assistance on several lines; Lisa Hopper, a descendant of
Benjamin D. Moore through his son, Alfred M.; Carole Nunalee Weiss,
Richard Pickett, Robert H. Croom and David Woodcock for their generous
help. Michael Malpass and the late Caleb E. Molpus. Caleb, a descendant of both
the Malpass and Moore families of New Hanover County, provided several
much appreciated corrections. Very importantly, Caleb
contributed very helpful information during my deliberations as to the
parents of Jacob Moore, Sr. Richard Booth has extensively researched
several eastern NC surnames, most notably with respect to my studies:
Moore and Larkins. I am most grateful for his generous help.
Although my Moore ancestry starts with Sophia Elizabeth Moore, born in
1822, I hope the expanded information on this page will be of help to the
many other Moore descendants. If you have any information which can add
siblings to the above listed Moore families, confirm the names of spouses, fill in
missing dates and places, provide any corrections, or get me back on the
right track, I would be quite pleased to hear from you. For brevity, this
page does not display all of the descendants of the above listed names
which are in my database. They can be furnished.
Note: LNU= last name unknown
FNU=first name unknown
PLEASE VISIT AGAIN.
This page was last revised on 17 June 2016
1995-2016 by John H. Croom, all rights reserved.
Back to the top